Axsome Therapeutics Joins Mental Health America and other Advocacy Organizations in Raising Awareness and Providing Support for Mental Health During Mental Health Month
Recent data from the
- The prevalence of depression symptoms increased from 6.5% in 2019 to a high of 30.2% of
U.S.adults in December 2020[1,2];
- The prevalence of anxiety symptoms increased from 8.1% in 2019 to a high of 36.9% of
U.S.adults in December 2020[1,2];
- Of the nearly 3 million people who took an MHA mental health screening during the past 12 months, approximately 1 million were experiencing depression, and hundreds of thousands more were experiencing either anxiety or psychosis ; and
- Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, an estimated 1 in 5 adults in the
U.S.reported living with a mental health condition, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress disorder . Research shows that estimate has grown to at least 2 in 5 adults .
These findings highlight the need, more than ever, to promote mental health awareness, increase access to care, and provide support for those living with mental health conditions.
Individuals living with mental health conditions are not alone. The following organizations are committed to providing support and resources to people living with mental health conditions, and to those looking to prioritize their mental health:
- Mental Health America (MHA) (https://www.mhanational.org). MHA's work is driven by its commitment to promote mental health as a critical part of overall wellness, including prevention services for all; early identification and intervention for those at risk; and integrated care, services, and support for those who need them, with recovery as the goal. Resources provided by the MHA include a free online mental health screen, which can be found at MHAscreening.org, to help identify signs of mental health problems.
The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance(DBSA) (https://www.dbsalliance.org). DBSA is a leading national peer-focused mental health organization, whose mission is to provide hope, help, support, and education for individuals who live with mood disorders. Anxiety and Depression Association of America(ADAA) (https://adaa.org). ADAA’s mission focuses on improving quality of life for those with anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, and co-occurring disorders through education, practice, and research.
As part of Axsome’s commitment to depression education, resources and tools are available at www.talkdepressettling.com to help support those affected by depression.
- Terlizzi EP, Schiller JS. Estimates of mental health symptomatology, by month of interview:
United States, 2019. National Center for Health Statistics. (2021). Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/mental-health-monthly-508.pdf. US Census Bureau Household Pulse Survey2020-2021. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/covid19/pulse/mental-health.htm.
- Mental Health America. (2021). Mental Health Month 2021 Toolkit. Retrieved from https://mhanational.org/sites/default/files/MHM 2021 - Foreword and Intro.pdf.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Results from the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Retrieved from https://www.samhsa.gov/data/.
- Czeisler MÉ, et al. Mental Health, Substance Use, and Suicidal Ideation During the COVID-19 Pandemic —
United States, June 24–30, 2020. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932a1.htm?s_cid=mm6932a1_w.
Forward Looking Statements
Certain matters discussed in this press release are “forward-looking statements”. We may, in some cases, use terms such as “predicts,” “believes,” “potential,” “continue,” “estimates,” “anticipates,” “expects,” “plans,” “intends,” “may,” “could,” “might,” “will,” “should” or other words that convey uncertainty of future events or outcomes to identify these forward-looking statements. In particular, the Company’s statements regarding trends and potential future results are examples of such forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements include risks and uncertainties, including, but not limited to, the success, timing and cost of our ongoing clinical trials and anticipated clinical trials for our current product candidates, including statements regarding the timing of initiation, pace of enrollment and completion of the trials (including our ability to fully fund our disclosed clinical trials, which assumes no material changes to our currently projected expenses), futility analyses and receipt of interim results, which are not necessarily indicative of the final results of our ongoing clinical trials, and the number or type of studies or nature of results necessary to support the filing of a new drug application (“NDA”) for any of our current product candidates; our ability to fund additional clinical trials to continue the advancement of our product candidates; the timing of and our ability to obtain and maintain
Source: Axsome Therapeutics, Inc.